Monday, September 19, 2011

Nutrition and Malnutrition

The topic I chose for this blog was nutrition and malnutrition. I chose this one because, I couldn't help but to think about how much food we waste here in the USA. The program that I work for the little children there just bite off of their lunch and then to the garbage can it goes. I can only encourage them to try the food, but if they do not want to eat, they have the right to just dump it in the garbage. I think that this is so wasteful, because I think about all the hungry children who would love to have that food. While are children are afforded a variety of choices to eat, the children in South Africa, struggle with malnutrition and a lack of key nutrients that are needed for proper growth and development. Children ages 1-9 suffer the most from nutrient defiency. They lack nutrients such as iron, vitamin A, iodine, protein, energy, riboflavin, calcium, and zinc.  As I progress through out my educational and professional journey, I can and will do my best to help others understand the importance of all children having enough nourishing foods to eat for optimal growth and development. To do this, I don't have to go as far as South Africa, because we have starving children in our own communities.

3 comments:

  1. I think that it is a great idea for child care centers to be able to patram servicipate in USDA food program sevices. My childcare center is on a USDA food program. We provide our kids with well balanced meals daily. We also provide our parents with essential information and resources to help provide nutritious meals at home and o help their children make nutritious decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priscilla,
    That is so true how children and adults waste food when people next door might not have any. My husband and I are constantly talking to our daughters about this same thing. They are always donating canned goods and other unperishable items but I still want them to appreciate the luxury of having more than one meal a day. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good post. There are some children that look forward to eating lunch because that is the last meal that they will receive for that day. There are also some children at my school who take one bite out their food and throw it in the trash because of their picky eating habits. I explain to them that in order to be health you have to start with healhty eating habits.I tell them that many children around the world are starving and need food.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a Preschool Teacher at a private preschool in Tennessee. I have been in the early childhood field for 17 years. I have an A.A.S in Early Childhood Edcuation, a CDA, B.S in Child Development with a specialization in Preschool, and currently I am working on my M.S in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.