Saturday, March 10, 2012

The objective of this blog is to tell my colleagues about a topic I have chosen to research and why I have chosen this particular topic. The topic I chose to research is poverty. I chose this particular topic, because it affects so many children and their families. So many children in the United States live in poverty and are not being able to get the necessary basic life necessities needed to survive on a day to day basis. This is also a topic that is close and personal to me. It is close and personal to me, because I spent many years when I was growing up in a housing project, I became a single mother at the age of 18. By age 23, I was the single mother of 3 children. I struggled for many years only making pennies about minimum wage. However, education and faith were the two driving forces that helped me to make it to wear I am now. I think that if provisions are made to help and inform families, then many of young children can be helped out of poverty. As I continue to build on this topic through out this course, I have chosen subtopics such as what are the causes of poverty, poverty's affect on young children, and how do we help children and families overcome poverty. As early childhood educators understanding poverty helps to make us prepared and knowledgeable. We need to be prepared and knowledgeable because it helps us to know how to better help these children and families and to teach them as well.

1 comment:

  1. Priscilla,

    I hope you have much success with this topic. I will be curious if after this week's application, if you find a lot of research or not. Poverty is something we should all learn about no matter what our background. I grew up in a family with four children and a single mom so I understand the challenges young children face where poverty in concerned. I look forward to hearing about your progress!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a Preschool Teacher at a private preschool in Tennessee. I have been in the early childhood field for 17 years. I have an A.A.S in Early Childhood Edcuation, a CDA, B.S in Child Development with a specialization in Preschool, and currently I am working on my M.S in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.