Saturday, December 1, 2012

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice

For this blog, I will try to describe the consequences that children and families might experience as I deal with as try to address the "isms" that I might be experiencing in my own life.

On of the biggest "isms" that I have had to deal with is racism and dealing with racism is not an easy feat. When a person is the victim of racism it stirs up all kinds of emotions and these emotions can leave one feeling hurt, sad, degraded, belittled, worthless, and angry. So as an early childhood professional trying to promote anti-bias education in my classroom as I try to cope with the "isms" that cause me strife in my own life, I believe that as I worked through this issue, my tolerance level would more than likely be very low.

Even though I would really try my hardest to be fair and just and to promote unity among the children and families that I serve, for those families that do not make an effort to help promote this unity and anti-bias learning and their child consistently comes to school acting all ugly to the other children, I would probably called that parent in for conferences and after that I don't know and can't really say what I would actually do, because no matter what I experience in my personal life, I try really hard not to allow it to spill over into my professional life. I just would like to make a point that hateful racist children majority of the time grow up to be racist adults and the cycle of racism never ends because children mirror the adults in their home, community, and school environment, as well as the other institutional influences that may leave an impression on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a Preschool Teacher at a private preschool in Tennessee. I have been in the early childhood field for 17 years. I have an A.A.S in Early Childhood Edcuation, a CDA, B.S in Child Development with a specialization in Preschool, and currently I am working on my M.S in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.