Saturday, June 30, 2012

Effective Communicators

The person that I can communicate effectively in pretty much any given situation was one of my old supervisors at an preschool that I used to work at. I mean this woman can keep her composure and you would never know that she was really upset or disgruntled. She would make clear and direct eye contact and her body language showed no signs of distressed. She would speak in a calm voice and she would effectively state her purpose and the reason behind her message. I have always admired her for being an effective communicator. As an early childhood professional, I would definitely like to take a few pointers from her. I think that the first thing that I would like to take from her is her ability to hold her composure. I think for me, I can sometimes let my emotions show as I communicate with others. However, it really depends on the situation. The second thing is that I would like to be able to effectively communicate with others in a way that the receiver can immediately get the message that I am sending in a positive way. I would want to model some of her ways so that I can effectively communicate with the children and families that I serve as well as with my colleagues. Being able to communicate in a manner that is respectful to all is very important to me, because I want to be able to help them and the only way that I can help the families is by being an effective communicator. Communicating effectively will help me to understand how to help meet the needs of the child and the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a Preschool Teacher at a private preschool in Tennessee. I have been in the early childhood field for 17 years. I have an A.A.S in Early Childhood Edcuation, a CDA, B.S in Child Development with a specialization in Preschool, and currently I am working on my M.S in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.