Saturday, May 26, 2012

Microagressions

This week I various kinds of microgressions. The ones that stuck out most to me were the ones that were geared to a group of young gay men that were shopping at the local grocery store. This I thought was really mean, because being gay is just one aspect of a person. It dose not make that person vile. I felt the remarks that were made by some heterosexual males were mean and uncalled for. As I listened to their rude remarks, I just couldn't help but to think what if that was my child. I would be hurt to know that people dislike my child because of  his or her sexual preference. Sexual preferences is just an itty bitty part of who a person is, when discriminating or showing biases to others, some people are so quick to pick out that one thing that does not fit into society's standards, that they seem to totally miss out on getting to know just how amazing that person really is.

This week's observation has continued to show me just how people are so quick to discriminate and stereotype others. Instead of getting to know people for who they really are, people now a days tend to focus more on the flaws or the shortcomings of people. Exploiting them, because they are different than the dominant culture. I feel that if this country is to continue to progress in the area of civil rights for all, the people that live in this great country will have to look pass those things that do not align with the criterial of the dominant culture and accept the fact that different is refreshing and that it can be good all at the same time. Thinking outside of the box can open up a world of discovery and enlightenment.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post, very insightful. You have really addressed the topic well. Julie

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a Preschool Teacher at a private preschool in Tennessee. I have been in the early childhood field for 17 years. I have an A.A.S in Early Childhood Edcuation, a CDA, B.S in Child Development with a specialization in Preschool, and currently I am working on my M.S in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.