Saturday, May 26, 2012

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

This week I asked some of my friends and co-workers for their definition of culture and diversity. One of my friends gave this definition: " Culture is everything that I have learned, experienced, and been through through-out my life. This means the things that my parents and other close relatives have taught me as a child growing up. Also the things that I have learned from peers in my community, schools, and work. Their definition of diversity is " All people of different colors, gender, religions, living together in this world." - close family friend.

Another friend of the family which is Caucasian gave her definition of culture in which she believes that culture are all the things that make you who you are. It is learned from family, friends, and society. Her definition of diversity was different people of various backgrounds living together in unity.

Their responses relate to the information that I have been learning in my current course work. It relates to it, because as I have been learning, culture and diversity are all those things that we have learned since birth. Culture basically refers to how people live and survive. While diversity as I have been learning in my course work relates to the race, soci-economic status, sexual orientation, religion, and even educationals backgrounds.

Though, their definitions touched on some of the ideals that have been discussed through my course work, their definitions omitted some concepts. Such concepts that have been omitted are sexual orientations and social class. These two concepts are very important to both culture and diversity. It's important, because as other cultures try to find their place in this big world; they are still having to assimilate to the dominant culture who has the power.

As I thought about the defintions of culture and diversity given by my friends, it amazing to see how others view culture and diversity. I just think that each person sees it from their own perspective according to how they have been affected by it. I also so think that many people do not consciously think about the two terms. Most of the time it is not until some one is adversely affected by culture or diversity that they begin to think consciously about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a Preschool Teacher at a private preschool in Tennessee. I have been in the early childhood field for 17 years. I have an A.A.S in Early Childhood Edcuation, a CDA, B.S in Child Development with a specialization in Preschool, and currently I am working on my M.S in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.