Saturday, May 12, 2012

Preserving My Family Culture

For this blog, I was asked to imagine that a major catastrophe has devastated the infrastructure of my county. My immediate family and I are being relocated to another country where we may possible have to stay permanently. On top of that we can only bring one change of clothes and three items that are representative of my family culture. As I reflected on this scenario, I really had to put some thought into the three items that I would select to take with me. But to be honest, only two of the items were hard for me to decide upon. The first item that was a must to take was my NIV Study Bible, this was a no brainer for me, because my faith in God will give me the hope that I will need to survive in the new country. Understanding that despite the current change that I am going through, knowing that God has a plan for me and my family will help me to survive. the next thing that I have chosen to take are family photos of the family that may be scattered in other countries. Reflecting on photos of my mom, dad, and siblings will enable me to remember and try to hold on to those things that I valued and believed so much in. The next thing that I would take is a hard one to decide.

Making the transition to the new country would be just absolutely life changing for me. Having to leave behind the life that I once knew to embark upon a uncertain journey will truely throw me for a loop. Not knowing what to expect is one of the scariest things and if when we arrive we're only allowed to keep one thing, I would have to say that the one thing that I would definitely keep is my bible. I will need my God to help me to substain and maintain in this new country. Using my bible I can read about the many others that God have lead into and out of foreign countries and how He has protected them along their jouney. Being that I am already leaving so much of my life behind, my faith is apart of my family culture that cannot and will not be left behind. In preparing for this blog, I really found myself in a deep thought about what I would do if this make-believe scenario ever became a reality. I found myself wondering about what would I really take, if this were the case. Of all the things I actually thought about taking my Bible was a for sure keeper.

1 comment:

  1. Priscilla, not sure if you noticed but many of us chose to bring the Bible, whether and electronic version or hard copy. I think it is amazing that many of us value the Bible so much. Amazing post very interesting. Julie

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a Preschool Teacher at a private preschool in Tennessee. I have been in the early childhood field for 17 years. I have an A.A.S in Early Childhood Edcuation, a CDA, B.S in Child Development with a specialization in Preschool, and currently I am working on my M.S in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.