Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Advocacy Messages

For this blog, I found advertising campaign messages that I felt were inspiring to me. The first advertising ad that I found to be inspiring was the Every Beat Matters Campaign which is a campaign strategy by the Save the Children organization. This ad was inspiring to me because children's actual heartbeats were used to inspire a very popular song in an effort to bring awareness to the need for children to have healthcare. The link to the website is http://www.everybeatmatters.org/.

The next ad that I thought was very inspiring to me because they took a simple everyday saying such as "No Baby" and turned it into an advocacy campaign to bring awareness to teenage pregnancy. This whole campaign was centered around the high number of teen girls that were pregnant at this one particular neighborhood high school in Memphis, Tn. Through this campaign teenage girls are taught about abstinence, safe sex, and how to effective use birth control to prevent unwanted teenage pregnancies. The girls are also mentored about staying focused on education and so on. The link to the "No Baby" website is http://www.nobaby.org

I believe that both of these messages are effective in creating action, because they use techniques that appeal to the senses. The Every Beat Matters Campaign, created a catchy song using the heartbeats of children. The website videoed the meaning behind the song and how it was created which was a great strategy to use, because if you're like me understanding the meaning behind the material is important and it opens the mind up to issues that we are often unaware of or don't really realize the severity of an issue and people were moved to action, because as they purchased the song, the proceeds were donated to the cause. The "No Baby" Campaign also used a catchy phrase to help spread the word about their cause. This "phrase spread like wildfire as it was broadcast over the radio, news, commercials, and billboards. More people were made aware of this issue once the news team aired a story about the high rate of teenage girls that were pregnant at Frayser High School. This news story moved many to action and the "No Baby" Campaign was created. Due to the way their messages were broadcast, I believe that they were effective in motivating people to take action.

2 comments:

  1. Priscilla,

    I also chose the every beat matters campaign. My heart broke to learn of the number of children under the age of five who die on a daily basis. I think too often those that may have access to great healthcare take it for granted. I have been looking at advocacy specifically related to the educational side that this campaign was a gentle reminder of the outside factors that affect every child who enters our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pricilla , I really liked the fact that they use music to evoke emotion. The underlying current is allowed to flow through the emotion of the music. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a Preschool Teacher at a private preschool in Tennessee. I have been in the early childhood field for 17 years. I have an A.A.S in Early Childhood Edcuation, a CDA, B.S in Child Development with a specialization in Preschool, and currently I am working on my M.S in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.