Saturday, June 22, 2013

Profile of a Volunteer

One of the person's that admire for her continuous volunteerism is my co-worker named Gina. This young lady devotes a great deal of the time volunteering for numerous organizations. In her most reason volunteer efforts she participated in the Linking Hands for Life hosted by the National Foundation for Transplants. This  event celebrated organ donors and the organ recipients. As a volunteer for this event she coordinated with other organizations to place volunteers at various stations at the event. She also volunteers for the United Way of Greater Memphis as well by offering her service at local events by passing out flyers, manning tables, and serving.

I feel that her work has positively impact others in that by taking time from her busy schedule she has shown others that she really does care about what is going on with them. It is not all about how much money we can  spend or give, but through offering her time she continuously shows others that she cares.

As I observe her volunteer efforts, one thing that I have learned or can take away is the concept of simply being available. If I make myself available, I will be able to step up my volunteer efforts.

3 comments:

  1. Priscilla,
    I believe volunteering is one of the truest forms of compassion and giving. The time shared in volunteering demonstrates one's own efforts to make the world a better place through advocating for a cause and being part of a group that is looking to make a difference in for the lives of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priscilla,

    I think you touched on a very valid point when it comes to volunteering, being available. A lot of people often say they don't have time, but if we stopped and thought about giving one day a month, a few hours in a weekend, etc. It really would not take much effort and the impact is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your co-worker seems like an amazing person. Being available is sometime the hardest thing to do. Between work, school, and other responsibilities, it seems like volunteering has been placed on the back burner.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a Preschool Teacher at a private preschool in Tennessee. I have been in the early childhood field for 17 years. I have an A.A.S in Early Childhood Edcuation, a CDA, B.S in Child Development with a specialization in Preschool, and currently I am working on my M.S in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.