Sunday, June 2, 2013

My Own Capacity

The issues that fuel my passion as it relates to young children and their families are the issues such as the lack of help for the working poor. These poor individuals work relentlessly each and everyday at a job that pays low wages and often times cannot qualify for government assistance. The fact that young children have to attend childcare programs where the teachers lack the experience, knowledge, and skills to properly care for them fuels my passion. Low-income children not having access to quality childcare as their counterparts in the more privileged areas fuels my passion. The lack of accessible resources within in the community is another thing that fuels my passion. Many times families do not have the transportation to get to resources that are far out. They need access to resources that are within reach so that they can better help their families.

Specials skills that I believe that I have is my ability to serve others. I have a desire to help others and I do not mind rolling up my sleeves to help others find a happy ending. I also have the ability to make friends and allies quickly. My friends and family tell me that I am one person that has never met a stranger. I believe that all people have some good in them and it just takes open-minded people to see past the shortcomings. My awareness about free and public resources is also a skill that I possess. I utilize the internet daily and I make it a useful tool in my work with children and families.

The fact that I work for the government is a tool that I feel is beneficial, because I am able to learn about resources and upcoming programs that will be available to the community and state in general. Also in this capacity I am always networking and meeting new people from various agencies and organizations.

As I continue to learn  and grow from participating in this course, I hope to obtain the knowledge and know how that will make me an effective advocate for those causes that really tug at my heartstrings. I also wish to gain the ability to affect policies and even create new policies that will benefit others. I know that as I continue to learn in this class this will eventually happen.

4 comments:

  1. Priscilla,
    This issue is such a difficult one for so many people. It is heartbreaking to see so many people work so hard and not be able to get ahead because of the lack of getting help due to being mere dollars over the poverty line. I have seen my mother struggle with this my whole life. Having knowledge about other agencies that can help those families in need is such a great skill in the early childhood field as I'm sure we all encounter the need for help by families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priscilla I believe you are right that working within the government confines helps you to be better prepared for many programs. Having knowledge about different agencies and there whereabouts is definitely beneficial in allowing you to advocate intelligently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you issue of the working poor. I was one of those children growing up. My mom worked daily, did not have a car but tried to make sure my brother and I had everything we needed and some of what we wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Priscilla,

    Well not specifically focused on the working poor, I have picked issues related to high quality preschool programs. Insuring all children have access to programs of high quality would relate to your topic though and I feel it is one of high need in our country.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a Preschool Teacher at a private preschool in Tennessee. I have been in the early childhood field for 17 years. I have an A.A.S in Early Childhood Edcuation, a CDA, B.S in Child Development with a specialization in Preschool, and currently I am working on my M.S in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.