Saturday, July 20, 2013

Parent, Family, and Community Engagement

For this blog I will be dealing with the foundational  strength of Head Start by reviewing a video of testimonials from individuals whose lives have been greatly impacted by Head Start whether in the role of parent, teacher, or community member. I will begin by describing the professional and personal significance that I drew from these videos. The first video that I watch was the testimonial of Melinda G., she shared about how Head Start has played an critical role in helping her to become the early childhood professional that she is today. I listened to her share about entering the Head Start program as a young newlywed who was looking for a early childhood program for her four year old relative. She talked about how through the encouragement of a teacher at the Head Start she was convinced to return to school to further her education. She felt empowered by the teacher realizing that she has a real natural when it came to early childhood and because someone noticed her talent she was empowered to return to school and to become more active in the Head Start program through volunteering and then through employment. Her story is a great example of how taking the time to care can help someone catapult them into their destiny. I felt connected to this story, because my own story is very similar. My eldest son attended this private preschool that was created to offer quality early childhood programs to at-risk and low income children. It was during our time in the program that I was encouraged by the teachers to return to school to seek a degree. I took the advice and hence began my journey. I returned to school and was offered a position with that particular preschool as a team teacher. Although, I no longer work there I still stay closely connected to the preschool through volunteering and participating in school events.

As early childhood professionals, the public, policymakers and government officials listen to the stories of these individuals they should value the the hope that has come from each story. They should value the stories, because it shows that Head Start is not just a place for children to find help, but instead it gives hope and help to the entire family. It is done as teachers take the time to listen to families as they express their needs and their desires to improve the quality of life for their families. The public should value the stories that have been heard in that it shows that children and families that utilize services provided through Head Start are engaging positive programs and are learning skills that will help to be productive citizens. Policy makers and government officials should value the hearing the stories, because it shows that all the government funding that is being used by Head Start is not going to waste and that it is making positive impacts in lives of children and families. 



3 comments:

  1. Priscilla,
    I love the statement that you made about how taking the time to care can catapult someone else into their destiny. The personal testimonies from the Head Start parents confirms the value of parent and family involvement. I think that we all have a personal story about how someone's influence and encouragement motivated us to believe that the sky is the limit. I believe that it is our duty to reach back and pull someone else up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Priscilla for sharing your experience! I love your enthusiasm and hope that it spreads. I wish I still shared your positive outlook for this field. Instead, however, I have become jaded. I wish that policy was influenced by genuine stories of real people who's lives have been changed for the better. Unfortunately, I have not seen that to be so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel hope is essential in the field too. Hope that things will change for the better and one day we will be able to reach every young child. I feel it important that every young child has access to an opportunity to participate in an early childhood program. There has been great results from the field and it will definitely benefit our country as a whole.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a Preschool Teacher at a private preschool in Tennessee. I have been in the early childhood field for 17 years. I have an A.A.S in Early Childhood Edcuation, a CDA, B.S in Child Development with a specialization in Preschool, and currently I am working on my M.S in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.