Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Political Will to Improve Early Childhood Systems

In my work as an early childhood professional, I have had the grand opportunity to work with many children and families. I have heard numerous stories of struggle, hurt, and victory. It is these stories that I am reminded of as I continue to work with children and families. These story compel and encourage me to be even more compassionate and caring to those that are being served and as I worked on their behalf, I did it with eagerness, because although, I am one person, I was still making a positive impact.

 As I reviewed the methods being used by some of the early childhood advocacy organizations, I was particular moved by the current campaign of Voices for America's Children called  The Power of $1 Campaign. This particular campaign touched my heart, because just as I am one person striving to make a difference in the lives of children and families, many others are striving to do the same. This campaign allows random concerned individuals to be able to make a difference in the lives of children and families by donating  one single dollar, four quarters, ten dimes, twenty nickels, or one hundred pennies.

 By taking the time to give their $1, the funds generated will be used to help the Voices for America's Children organization continue the work they do on the behalf of America's children and families. Having available funds is important to the work that is done by advocacy organizations. It takes money to travel back and forth, to and from legislative meetings, to host community forums,  to print and mail out informational flyers, and to publish reports, etc. It might seem like it's only one dollar, but that one single dollar will make a huge contribution in the effort to make positive changes in policies/legislation that affect children and families.

4 comments:

  1. Priscilla,

    I love your posting because it makes it seem to real. I think we often forget that we each can make a difference. It is very easy to think that oh well I am just one person I can't make a difference. This posting provides hope that with a single dollar we can make a difference in the lives of children and families.

    Thanks so much for sharing!!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priscilla, I really enjoyed reading your post. It is pleasing to know that a small donation can amount to a lifeline of support. This organization is proving that small donation amounts could help so many individual in their unforeseen circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priscilla,
    We sometimes in wanting to contribute a large amount to a cause overlook the value of small contributions. If we would begin to see our the small seeds that we sow in people's lives as having the potential to become a great harvest later in their lives, we would not underestimating the difference that we as individuals can make. It sounds as if you are making huge impacts on the families that you serve one step at a time, one family at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Priscilla,

    Thank you for the reminder that no matter how small the contribution whatever amount we can give can and will make a difference. If we all gave a little it could end up being a lot and the differences made would be even greater.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a Preschool Teacher at a private preschool in Tennessee. I have been in the early childhood field for 17 years. I have an A.A.S in Early Childhood Edcuation, a CDA, B.S in Child Development with a specialization in Preschool, and currently I am working on my M.S in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.